Series: Spiritual Growth
January 25, 2018
WE ARE ALL WORSHIPERS
In our culture: Good Worship—Bad God
Sometimes in the Church: Bad Worship—Good God
“Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.”
Two Things God Is Seeking In John 4:
1. God is looking for WORSHIPERS not WORSHIP.
2. God is looking for worshipers who will worship Him in SPIRIT and in TRUTH.
A. WE SHOULD WORSHIP THE FATHER IN SPIRIT.
To worship in spirit is to worship from the heart or from within.
B. WE SHOULD WORSHIP THE FATHER IN TRUTH. To worship God in truth means we worship Him for all that He is as revealed in all of Scripture.
1) WORSHIP WITH AWE.
Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, 29 for our “God is a consuming fire.”
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.
2) WORSHIP WITH ABANDON.
In 2 Samuel 6 – The Arc of the Covenant finally arrived in the City of David
2 Samuel 6:14 NLT
And David danced before the Lord with all his might…
2 Samuel 6:21-22 NLT
David retorted to Michal, “I was dancing before the Lord…22 Yes, and I am willing to look even more foolish than this, even to be humiliated in my own eyes! ...
True worshipers express their love for God:
· In the presence of God, his people fall on their faces in worship (Genesis 17:3; Nehemiah 8:6; Ezekiel 1:28; Revelation 4:9–10; 5:8, 14).
· In the presence of God, his people raise their hands in worship (1 Kings 8:22; Ezra 9:5; Nehemiah 8:6; Psalm 63:4; 134:2; 141:2).
· In the presence of God, his people bow down in worship (Exodus 34:8; Psalm 5:7; Isaiah 66:23; Zephaniah 2:11).
· In the presence of God, his people even dance in worship (2 Samuel 6:14; Psalm 149:3; 150:4).
Something to remember in a corporate worship setting:
The posture and physical expressions of true worship do not distract from God’s glory, but display it.
3) WORSHIP WITH INTIMACY.
One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple. Psalm 27:4
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
If we were honest… it would sound like this:
The Lord is my shepherd; but all I ever seem to do is want.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
He is most GLORIFIED in us when we are most SATISIFIED in Him.
Content Copyright Belongs to San Angelo First Assembly