Love Does Part 2 - What Real Love Looks Like
Series: Love Does
March 18, 2018
LOVE DOES – 2
Misconceptions about love:
· Love is only a feeling.
· Love is uncontrollable.
· Love is conditional.
The Truth about love:
· God says love is a matter of choice.
(Colossians 3:14 ESV) And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
· God says love is something we do.
(1 John 3:18 ESV) Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.
Act like love acts…
1. Love is alive when it has patience…dying when it is hurried…dead when it cannot wait.
(1 Corinthians 13:4) “Love is patient …”
(Ephesians 4:2 LB) Be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowances for each other's faults because of your love.
2. Love is alive when it cares…dying when it forgets…dead when it ignores.
(1 Corinthians 13:4) “…Love is kind…”
(Ephesians 4:32 LB) Be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God has forgiven you.
· Kindness: The ability to care for each other in the practical details of life.
3. Love is alive when it is secure ... dying when it starts doubting ... dead when it stops trusting.
(1 Corinthians 13:4) "It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
· Envy + Boasting + Pride = Insecurity
4. Love is alive when it is giving ... dying when it begins to exchange ... dead when it is taking.
"Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to be sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness, but in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken, but it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. The only place outside of heaven where you can be safe from all dangers of love is hell." – C.S. Lewis
5. Love is alive when it acts its way into feeling ... dying when it feels but doesn't act or acts but doesn't feel ... dead when it no longer feels or acts.
(1 Corinthians 13:7) "It always protects, always trusts, always perseveres."
Lessons I've learned about love...
1. Love people now.
2. Love is vulnerable.
3. Love is powerful.
4. Love is unconditional.
5. The spirit of love makes all people and events special.
Content Copyright Belongs to San Angelo First Assembly