Freedom in Christ
April 19, 2020
Pastor Joshua Lim
After defending the doctrine of justification by faith, the Apostle Paul now shows how justification by faith secures freedom in Christ. Freedom in Christ is received by faith in Christ to live as children of God through the empowerment of the Holy Spirit. As Paul has already shown in his letter, freedom in Christ is not legalism, which seeks to earn God's favor. But on the flip side, freedom Christ is also not libertinism, which seeks to abuse God's favor. Rather, freedom in Christ seeks to live in God's favor and primarily expresses itself in love for others.
- Galatians 5:1
- Freedom in Christ is the liberty to rightly live in God's favor.
- Freedom in Christ is the liberty to rightly live before God through faith in Christ as children of the Father empowered by the Holy Spirit.
- 1. Legalism is not freedom. Legalism seeks to earn God's favor.
- Galatians 5:2-6
- 1a. Legalism obligates you to be perfect.
- 1b. Legalism separates you from Christ.
- 1c. Legalism blinds you from faith.
- 2. Libertinism is not freedom. Libertinism seeks to abuse God's favor.
- Galatians 5:13-15
- 2a. Libertinism is actually slavery to the flesh.
- 2b. Libertinism keeps us from living out the will of God.
- 2c. Libertinism destroys community.
- Avoid compromising the Gospel
- Galatians 5:7-9
- Have confidence in Christ
- Galatians 5:10
- Call out false teachers
- Galatians 5:11-12
Content Copyright Belongs to OMC: Family Chapel