Woe, Woe, Woe!
Series: Seek & Save
July 21, 2019
As Frank continues the current sermon series, he stays in Luke 11 this week, hovering over a story involving the criticism of some of the religious leaders toward Jesus's approach to ceremonial practices. As was His "custom" he saves his harshest rebukes for those who were hypocritical in their approach to faith and religion. It reminds us to be careful about making traditions and customs into "God-ordained" commandments. It is especially true in how we view and treat others who may do things differently than we do.
Jesus used His harshest language on those embracing false religion… Seek truth.
- False religion distorts the identity of Jesus.
- False religion elevates others to the authority of God.
- False religion misrepresents opinions as doctrine.
1. False religion loves the symbol.
- Jesus intentionally didn’t participate in their ceremonial hand washing.
Matthew 15:7-9, You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said: “‘This people honors Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me; in vain do they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”
2. False religion loves the sinful.
- Jesus exposed the pharisee’s wickedness hiding on the inside.
John 3: 19, And this is the judgment: the Light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the Light because their works were evil.
3. False religion loves the simple.
- Jesus teaches us that God’s holiness demands more than outward show.
Romans 2:29, But a Jew is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter. His praise is not from man but from God.
Seek truth while being patient and gentle with others.
Content Copyright Belongs to New Horizons Christian Church